LIST OF ALLEGED CRIMES IN THE CLINTON ADMINISTRATION
June 24, 1996
For several years, the Washington Weekly has published a compiled list of alleged crimes in the Clinton administration. Current events quickly make the list incomplete, necessitating updates. The list, now including 33 Clinton appointees, is by no means exhaustive, but does include activities before taking office.
(1) Used State Police for personal purposes. (2) Directed State Police to fabricate incriminating evidence against a political opponent: Terry Reed. (3) Conspired with David Hale and Jim McDougal to defraud the Small Business Administration. (4) Was complicit in the shipment of drugs through Arkansas. (5) Allowed laudering of drug money through ADFA. (6) Appointed and protected Arkansas Medical Examiner Fahmy Malak who repeatedly obstructed justice by declaring murders as "suicides" or "accidents." (7) Has never accounted for his actions during 40 days behind the Iron Curtain during the Vietnam War. (8) Tipped off Governor Tucker about upcoming criminal referral. (9) Violated Arkansas campaign finance laws. (10) Violated his oath ofoffice to uphold the Constitution by signing into law an ex post facto law, a retroactive tax increase. (11) Fired RTC chiefAlbert Casey to allow his friend Roger Altman to monitor and block Whitewater investigations. (12) Fired FBI director William Sessions to prevent an autonomous FBI from investigating the Foster suicide and from resisting cooperation in the Filegate operation. (13) Fired all U.S. Attorneys to appoint Paula Casey to prevent Judge David Hale from testifying against Clinton. (14) Offered State Troopers federal jobs in return for their silence about Clinton's crimes. (15) Blocked Justice Department indictments after Inspector General Sherman Funk found "criminal violations of the Privacy Act provable beyond reasonable doubt" when former Bush employee files were searched and leaked to the press. (16) Appointed friend and now-convicted felon Webster Hubbell to number 3 position in Justice Department in order to be able to block Whitewater criminal referrals. (17) Blocked the criminal trial of Representative Ford, a Tennessee Democrat. (18) Appointed a campaign activist to head the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, without the mandated "advice and consent" of the Senate, to derail a probe of his and Hillary's financial dealings.Bill Clinton is under investigation by Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr.
(1) Took a $100,000 bribe, camouflaged as futures trades, from Tyson Foods Inc. (2) Speculated in Health Care industry futures while overseeing legislative reform of same. (3) Failed to correct false testimony by co-defendant Ira Magaziner in Health Care trial. (4) Obstructed justice by ordering the shredding of Vince Foster's documents in the Rose Law Firm. (5) Ordered members of the Health Care Task Force to shred documents that were the target of a court probe. (6) Ordered the removal of documents from Vince Foster's office. (7) Told aides to lie about their removal of documents from Foster's office (8) Obstructed justice by keeping her billing records, a document sought under subpoena, in the White House residence. (9) Lied to investigators about her knowledge about billing records. (10) Lied to investigators about her involvement in the Castle Grande land flip con. (11) Ordered the use of the FBI to discredit Travel Office employees. (12) Lied to investigators about her involvement in the firing of Travel Office Employees.
IRA MAGAZINER, Hillary Clinton Senior Advisor
(1) Violated federal law when he held Health Care Task Force Meetings in secret and refused to release documents (2) Lied in court about the composition of the Health Care Task Force.U.S. Attorney Eric Holder found insufficient evidence for indictment of Ira Magaziner.
BERNARD NUSSBAUM, Former White House Counsel
(1) Obstructed justice in the Foster suicide investigation by blocking access, removing documents, lying about his removal of documents, and by retrieving Foster's pager from Park Police. (2) Attempted to quash a Whitewater investigation at the RTC through White House liaisons.Nussbaum has resigned and is under investigation for lying to Congress.
GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS, Senior Advisor
(1) Took a $600,000 loan below market interest and with insufficient collateral from Nations Bank, a bank having business before the Clinton Administration. (2) Lied to Congress during Whitewater hearings. (3) Attempted to have Whitewater investigator Jay Stephens at the RTC fired.
MIKE ESPY, Former Agriculture Secretary
(1) Took bribes from Tyson Foods Inc., which was under regulatory control of his Agriculture Department.Espy has resigned and is under investigation by a Special Counsel
ROGER ALTMAN, Deputy Secretary of the Treasury
(1) Lied to Congress during Whitewater hearings. (2) Lied to Congress about having lied to Congress. (3) Instructed Ellen Kulka and Jack Ryan at the RTC to block the Whitewater investigation by L. Jean Lewis. Roger Altman was forced to resign.
RON BROWN, Former Commerce Secretary
(1) Has taken bribes from almost everybody. Says it is part of the way Washington works. The allegations are too numerous and complicated to be detailed here.Ron Brown was still under investigation by an Independent Counsel when he died in a plane crash in 1996. The investigation continues.
LES ASPIN, Former Secretary of Defense
(1) Through criminal negligence was responsible for the death of Army Rangers in Somalia. Has never been held accountable in public hearings.Les Aspin has resigned and is deceased.
WILLIAM KENNEDY, DAVID WATKINS, PATSY THOMASSON:
(1) Fabricated charges against White House Travel Office personnel to have the business taken over by Clinton friends. (2) Coerced FBI and IRS agents into complicity with this scheme. Kennedy and Watkins have resigned.
CATHERINE CORNELIUS, Travel Office employee
(1) Removed documents from White House Travel Office. Because those documents later became the subject ofa trial against Office Director Billy Dale, that could amount to obstruction ofjustice.
PATSY THOMASSON, Director of White House Administration
(1) Lied to Congress about the composition of the Health Care Task Force and the size of its budget. (2) Obstructed justice when she removed documents from the office of Vince Foster.
MARGARET WILLIAMS, Chief of Staff to the First Lady
(1) Obstructed justice when she removed documents from the office of Vince Foster. (2) Lied to Congress about removing those documents.Maggy Williams is under investigation by Independent Counsel.
JOSHUA STEINER, Treasury Department Employee.
(1) Lied to Congress about conversations with White House personnel about the RTC. (He also lied to his diary, but that is not a crime.) Joshua Steiner has resigned.
LLOYD CUTLER, Former White House Counsel
(1) Lied to Congress about the contents of redacted documents. (2) Attempted to withhold vital information from Congress, a felony. (3) Obtained a confidential Treasury report and showed it to witnesses before they testified before Congress in the Whitewater in 1970. Has never been indicted for this crime which was similar to what the Watergate Plumbers spent time in jail for.
BRUCE LINDSEY, Senior Advisor
(1) As treasurer for the Clinton gubernatorial campaign in 1990, he signed withdrawals from Peny County Bank, the president of which has pled guilty to conspiring to conceal these withdrawals from the IRS and FEC.Bruce Lindsey is an unindicted co-conspirator in the trial of the owners of Perry County Bank.
MARIAN BENETT, USIA Inspector General
(1) Covered up credit-card fraud by USIA Inspector General staff.
FEDERICO PENA, Secretary of Transportation
(1) State and federal contracts were awarded to companies in which he had a financial interest. The Justice Department found insufficient evidence to appoint a Special Counsel.
HENRY CISNEROS, Secretary of HUD
(1) Lied to the FBI about payments to former lover. Under investigation by Special Counsel.
JANET RENO, Attorney General
(1) Fabricated charges of child molestation against the Branch Davidians in Waco, Texas. (2) Ordered the use of military equipment against citizens of the United States (3) Ordered the use of chemical agents against citizens of the United States.
ROBERT REICH, Secretary of Labor
(1) Lied to Congress when he wrote that there were no memos circulating in the Labor Department instructing staffto gather political material against the Contract with America. Such memos were later published. Under investigation by Congress.
DONNA SHALALA, Secretary of Health and Human Services
(1) As Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin at Madison instituted speech codes which were found to be unconstitutional in federal court. Instituted thought police star chamber proceed -ings to drive politically incorrect people off campus.
CAROL BROWNER, EPA Administrator
(1) Used the EPA to campaign against Republicans running on the Contract with America, an illegal use of the executive branch for political campaigning. Carol Browner is under investigation by Congress.
ROBERTA ACHTENBERG, Former Assitant Secretary of HUD
(1) Violated the First Amendment when she ordered HUD lawyers to silence citizens who spoke out against planned housing projects. (2) Exceeded her authority when she had HUD staff threaten Allentown County to withdraw an "Use of English language encouraged" ordinance. Roberta Achtenberg resigned to run for Mayor of San Francisco, a race which she lost.
DEVAL PATRICK, Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights
(1) Used extortion to force banks to give preferential treatment to minorities. Congress is investigating the possibility of impeachment based on abuse of power.
BRUCE BABBIT, Secretary of the Interior
(1) Paid a penalty for violating campaign finance laws during his 1988 presidential campaign.
HAZEL O'LEARY, Energy Secretary
(1) Abused taxpayer money for extravagant travels around the world. Hazel O'Leary is under investigation by Congress.
WILLIAM PERRY, Secretary of Defense
(1) Intervened in a Chinese trade deal on behalf of a business partner.
CRAIG LIVINGSTONE, Chief of White House Security
(1) Was seen carrying a box from Foster's office the morning after Vince Foster died. (2) Ordered confidential FBI background files on Hillary Clinton's political enemies, a violation of the privacy act. Craig Livingstone is currently on paid leave and has been unable to pass FBI criminal background checks, and the White House has admitted that 11 unnamed White House staffers have had recent drug use. Unsubstantiated allegations of murder, treason, and conspiracy have been omitted from the above list.In light of this record, it is appropriate to mention those Clinton Cabinet Secretaries who are not under investigation and have never had criminal allegations raised against them:
RICHARD RILEY, Secretary of Education
WARREN CHRISTOPHER, Secretary of State
In this administration these secretaries must be considered beacons of morality.
(Sources: published accounts in The Washington Weekly)
Copyright (c) 1996 The Washington Weekly (http://www.federal.com)
--Used With Permission--
Back to The Clinton Legacy Page
Back to Home Page